Thursday, December 23, 2010

It's almost Christmas!

Well, today's title has nothing to do with the actual entry.  I just wanted to say it because I'm very excited.  Being a single child, the Christmas celebrations in my house were very low key.  Since being welcomed into Erik's family in 1992, I've come to really enjoy the Harrison Christmas Eve festivities - the endless, fattening hors d'oeuvres, the amazing dinner, and the crazy present opening bonanza.  PANTS!  BIG KNOBS!  ;-)

Back to the elephant in the room...
I've had some news, thank goodness, since I last posted.  Officially, I have infiltrating ductile carcinoma.  Evidently, that type is "better" than lobule cancer.  Also, my MRI was clear, so while there may be cancer cells in other parts of my body, there are no tumors.  The Debbie Downer is that the tumors I have are grade 3 meaning they are aggressive.  There will be no change in treatment because of this.  It's just more info.  We're still awaiting for the pathology report.  It's killing us to wait because that is an incredibly crucial piece of information.  It tell the docs what type of treatment to do, and the options they have.  I won't go into the details - I'll tell you when I know.

Tomorrow I have an echocardiogram to get a baseline of how my heart is working.  Chemo can cause heart damage, so the docs will need to monitor any changes.  Next week, I'm having a port put into my chest, on the right side, to make it easier to administer chemo.  The docs knock you out to put in the port.  I've only been knocked out completely once in my life, to have all four wisdom teeth pulled, so I'm kinda' looking forward to that Alice down the rabbit hole feeling.  Trippy!

The port procedure means I can't start chemo next week.  I'll start the week after.  The upside of that is I'll feel good enough next week to prepare the house to host Aunt Betty's Christmas.  That's the second Harrison Present Palooza of each holiday season.  LOL!

So, otherwise, I'm doing fine.  I had lunch today with a good friend who is also battling cancer.  She's putting one foot in front of the other and kicking cancer's ugly butt.  That's the only thing we can do.  Thanks for lunch, my friend!  YOU are an inspiration to ME.  So many women are willing to share their experiences and answer my questions.  Thanks to you all!

I wish everyone a Merry Christmas - take a deep breath in the middle of the hubbub and look around.  It really is a wonderful life.

Quote of the moment: Erik and I were watching The Santa Clause 2.  Toward the end, Mother Nature marries Santa and the soon-to-be Mrs. Claus.  Mother Nature says the usual stuff, and then she says, "By the power invested in me...by me..."  As odd as it seems, that statement resonated with me.  The only power we truly have is the power we give ourselves.  Those of this with cancer need to remember that.  We do have power over this disease.  It doesn't define us, and we can't let it stop us.  I always knew Mother Nature had it right.  :-)

1 comment:

  1. You and the friend you had lunch with are amazing and an inspiration to all, definitely to me. Not sure, how come I missed this post and just reading it now.
    Hope you had a wonderful Xmas!
    Love your quote of the moment...I need to catch up on the Santa Clause movies before it is too late :)
    Lots of hugs and " Healthy, Happy New Year!"

    ReplyDelete