Thursday, January 20, 2011

Wiggin' Out

Well, not really.  I just thought it was a fun title for this posting.  :-)

Speaking of wigs...I went to Amy's of Denmark ( a unique name for a wig shop), and I actually purchased a wig.  I was only doing reconnaissance, but I found a cute one.  Completely different from my hair - it's stick straight with straight bangs.  Amy's mostly works with cancer patients, so they're very knowledgeable about the process of chemo hair loss.  If I'm going to loose my hair, it should start within the next week.  I say, "If" because I'm trying to stay positive.  Now, I'm not deluding myself...the vast majority of women loose their hair.  But maybe my good luck will continue.  Anyway, I had planned to try on lots of wigs and see what I looked like, but when I got there I just decided to do it.  If I do loose my hair, I have to go back to Amy's for them to shave my head and fit the wig again.  Maybe I'll take Erik with me and let him loose with the camera.  Ha ha!

I'm planning to go bald as much as possible...we'll see if I follow through on that.  It's been so friggin' cold outside!  Potentially serious brain freeze!  It's been a long time since I had short, short hair, and now I'm looking at no hair in the winter.  I was recently given a great bright pink ski cap and a gorgeous pink scarf that I will proudly wear.   Maybe I'll offer up my bald head to the Caps to rub for good luck.  ;-)

So, tomorrow is chemo round 2.  The Body Ninjas are getting Chemo Gal reinforcements, and the Healers are getting additional supplies.  I've been a little apprehensive about it - last time went well and I never felt really bad.  I guess I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.  Will I have a rougher time with this treatment?  I will answer that with a resounding, "NO!" 

Last time I went for treatment, I took a few things with me to feel strong: my original wedding band (Erik's given me several rings I wear as a wedding bands.), my mother's engagement ring, my dad's last watch, and my cowboy boots (my "shit kickers" LOL!).  Before I went, my dad's watch didn't run, and it hasn't run for years.  When I returned home from treatment, it was running.  It may mean absolutely nothing, but it's cool.  :-)  I'll be taking the same things with me tomorrow. 

Quote of the moment (thanks Stevie Nicks!): The clouds never expect it, when it rains, but the sea changes colours, but the sea does not change...

2 comments:

  1. I think you should go wild with fun wigs and hats, Molly. Good luck today. I absolutely LOVE the idea of taking things with you to the treatment, and the story of your father's watch is very interesting.
    Sending you lots of hugs, and many, many good wishes and thoughts.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a positive outlook you have! If you do lose your hair, then I look forward to seeing a picture of your new "look" posted to your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete